Hey friend! If you‘re a PlayStation owner wondering whether you can download and play Marvel‘s Spider-Man: Miles Morales at no extra cost through your PlayStation Plus membership, I‘ve got you covered.
The short answer is: sort of, but with some caveats. Stick with me and I‘ll explain everything in detail so you can decide if PS Plus is the best way to suit up as Spider-Man.
Miles Morales Isn‘t Directly Free with a Standard PS Plus Membership
I wish I could tell you that a regular $9.99 monthly PlayStation Plus subscription will score you a free copy of Miles Morales. Unfortunately, that‘s not the case – the game isn‘t one of the monthly PS Plus freebies.
Sony does occasionally give away huge first-party releases like God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn through PS Plus. But so far, Miles Morales hasn‘t been one of them.
Your best bet is to keep an eye out during major sales events. The game routinely drops to $20-30 off its regular $49.99 price point during promotions like Black Friday or the Summer Sale. Scoring it for 50% off or more is your best bet for direct savings.
But You Can Access Miles Morales Through PS Plus Extra or Premium
Now for the good news! While the standard PS Plus membership doesn‘t include Miles Morales, the higher PS Plus Extra and Premium tiers do include access to the game.
Both PS Plus Extra and Premium give you access to an enormous catalog of 400+ PlayStation games spanning PS4, PS5, and classic titles. This Netflix-style catalog includes both Miles Morales and 2018‘s Marvel‘s Spider-Man.
So by signing up for either tier, you can download and play the entire Spider-Man series at no added cost! All you need is an active Extra or Premium membership.
Here‘s a quick rundown of what each higher tier offers:
PS Plus Extra – $14.99 per month. Includes the full game catalog plus monthly PS Plus games and multiplayer access.
PS Plus Premium – $17.99 per month. Has the catalog, monthly games, and classic game streaming, game trials, and cloud streaming.
Both options are great value if you want to play Miles Morales and tons of other PlayStation exclusives for a competitive monthly price.
How Many Gamers Have Access to Miles Morales Through PS Plus?
As of Sony‘s latest public figures from January 2022:
- There were 48 million PlayStation Plus subscribers worldwide
- Of those, 12.4 million were signed up for Extra or Premium tiers
So around 26% of PS Plus members currently have access to download Miles Morales through their membership. That‘s over 12 million potential Spider-Men swinging around NYC!
Sony also shared that 25% of PS5 owners are subscribed to the higher PS Plus tiers. So 1 out of every 4 next-gen players can suit up as Miles at no added cost.
These membership figures will only grow over time as the PS5 install base increases and Extra/Premium get more enticing with bigger catalogs. More PlayStation gamers will join the Spider-verse!
OK, Tell Me More About These PS Plus Catalogs!
You got it! Here‘s a deeper look at the on-demand game libraries available with Extra and Premium memberships:
PlayStation Plus Extra Game Catalog Highlights
- Marvel‘s Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Mortal Kombat 11
- Marvel‘s Guardians of the Galaxy
- Demon‘s Souls
- NBA 2K22
- Ghost of Tsushima Director‘s Cut
- Marvel‘s Spider-Man
- Over 400 total games as of February 2023
- All first-party Sony titles added around 12-18 months after release
- Major third-party games like Ubisoft‘s Assassin‘s Creed Valhalla
- Mix of PS4 and PS5 games
PlayStation Plus Premium Classics Catalog
- Streaming access to legacy PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS3 games
- Downloadable versions for most titles
- Growing library – 340 games as of launch
- Classics like Ape Escape, Siphon Filter, Tekken 2, Metal Gear Solid
- Enhanced visuals, rewind/quick save, video filters
- New games added monthly
This huge on-demand back catalog paired with new monthly PS Plus games makes these premium tiers super tempting for players that love variety and trying new titles.
Does Extra/Premium Save You Money Compared to Buying Games Outright?
Definitely! To illustrate the value, let‘s compare the cost of these two scenarios:
Buying Miles Morales and Spider-Man Normally:
- Marvel‘s Spider-Man – $19.99
- Marvel‘s Spider-Man: Miles Morales – $49.99
PS Plus Extra 1 Year Membership:
- $99.99 per year (or $14.99 monthly)
- Access to both Spider-Man games AND 400+ other titles
Total: $99.99 per year
Even if you only play a handful of titles, an Extra or Premium membership can easily pay for itself compared to buying just 2-3 new releases per year at full price.
Plus you get to enjoy a ton of variety rather than being limited to only owning a couple titles. That‘s a superhero-sized amount of value!
OK, Let‘s Get Nerdy – How Does Game Sharing Work with Miles Morales on PS Plus?
Ooh, good question! Game sharing, sometimes called game family sharing, is when you and a friend share access to each other‘s digital game libraries. It works by designating your friend‘s PlayStation as the primary system.
Unfortunately, Miles Morales accessed through PS Plus Extra/Premium can‘t be shared this way. The PS Plus collection and catalog games are locked to the individual membership only.
However, if you fully purchase Miles Morales through the PlayStation Store rather than claiming it through PS Plus, then game sharing DOES work.
So in summary:
- Miles Morales through Extra/Premium – Cannot be game shared
- Miles Morales purchased outright – Can be game shared
Minor bummer if you were hoping to swing through NYC with a buddy via game sharing. But still an awesome service overall!
OK, Let‘s Recap – Here‘s the Complete Miles Morales PS Plus Lowdown
We covered a lot of ground, so let‘s review the key takeaways:
- Miles Morales is not directly free via a standard PS Plus membership – you need to purchase the game normally.
- BUT you can access the full game through PS Plus Extra or Premium as part of the huge streaming catalog.
- Extra and Premium give you access to 400+ PS4, PS5, and classic games for a monthly fee.
- You don‘t permanently own Miles Morales, but you have unlimited access as long as you‘re a member.
- For $14.99 a month, you get Miles Morales, Spider-Man, and tons of other games – a crazy good value compared to buying outright!
So while you don‘t get permanent ownership like buying the game normally, a PS Plus Extra or Premium membership lets you freely swing around Manhattan as Spider-Man without dropping $50+ on the title.
Hope this detailed breakdown helps explain exactly how you can access Miles Morales with a PlayStation Plus subscription! Let me know if you have any other questions. Happy gaming, friend!