Hey there! With more and more streaming services popping up, you may be wondering – can I watch Peacock TV for free? Or do I need to pay for it?
The short answer is yes, Peacock does offer a free streaming tier! But it is limited compared to their paid subscription plans.
In this guide, I‘ll walk you through exactly what‘s included with Peacock‘s free version, what requires a paid membership, and whether upgrading is worth it. I‘ve got all the details to help you decide if Peacock fits your streaming needs.
What Can I Watch For Free on Peacock?
Peacock provides a free, ad-supported streaming option that gives you access to about 15,000 hours of content. Here‘s an overview of what you can watch on the free Peacock tier:
- Select episodes of current NBC shows like Saturday Night Live, The Tonight Show, Chicago Fire, Law & Order: SVU and more. You can stream these episodes the day after they air on NBC.
- Popular classic NBC comedies like Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, Will & Grace, Saved By the Bell, The Office (UK), Cheers, King of Queens and others. Many episodes are available.
- Original Peacock series like Girls5eva, The Lost Symbol, Bel-Air, and Wolf Like Me. Usually you can watch about 1-2 episodes from the latest season for free.
- News, sports highlights, and pop culture clips from NBC News, Sky Sports, E! News, and more.
- Curated streaming channels like NBC Classics, SNL Vault, True Crime, and Family Movie Night with continuous content.
- Thousands of hours of movies, but generally catalog titles rather than new releases.
This free library gives you a nice taste of Peacock‘s offering. But it does have some limitations compared to the paid tiers:
- Limited episodes – You only get select episodes of shows, not full seasons. For continuing NBC series, you can only watch episodes from the current season.
- With ads – Free programming has advertising breaks similar to regular TV.
- No downloading – You can‘t download free content to watch offline.
- No account sharing – Your free Peacock account can only be used by one person.
So while you get access to a lot for free, some restrictions apply. But hey, it‘s hard to complain about free streaming!
What‘s Not Included in Peacock‘s Free Tier?
To get the full Peacock experience, you‘ll need to upgrade to their Premium or Premium Plus paid plans.
Here are some examples of movies, shows, and sports that require a paid Peacock subscription:
Premium Original Series
- Most Peacock originals like Bel-Air, Girls5eva, The Best Man: The Final Chapters, Angelyne, Wolf Like Me, Killing It, and others. You can usually only watch 1-2 free episodes of new Peacock shows.
- Sunday Night Football
- Premier League matches
- U.S. Open Golf coverage
- WWE events
- Notre Dame football
- Olympics programming
- And more upcoming sports like Sunday morning MLB games, NFL playoff games, and the Ryder Cup
- New theatrical films like Jurassic World: Dominion, The Black Phone, Firestarter, Downton Abbey: A New Era, Nope, and more
- Big movie franchises like Jurassic Park, Despicable Me, Fast & Furious, Transformers, Jason Bourne, Trolls, and other animated and action hits
- Classic films like E.T., Jaws, The Breakfast Club, and more top Universal titles
Classic TV Series
- Every episode of favorites like The Office, Cheers, Saturday Night Live, Yellowstone, Law & Order: SVU, New York Undercover, House, Battlestar Galactica, Downton Abbey, Friday Night Lights, Monk, Psych, Royal Pains, and others
Current NBC Series
- Next-day access to all episodes from current NBC shows like Law & Order, Chicago Fire, Chicago Med, Chicago P.D., La Brea, The Blacklist, and more
- Over 75 live TV channels, including live news, sports, and entertainment stations from NBC, Bravo, USA, SYFY, Oxygen and more
As you can see, you‘ll miss out on a ton of great programming without a paid Peacock membership. Next let‘s look at Peacock‘s Premium plans.
Peacock Premium vs Premium Plus Paid Plans
Ready to unlock Peacock‘s full catalog? They offer two paid subscription tiers:
- $4.99/month or $49.99/year
- Includes ads
- Full catalog access
Peacock Premium Plus
- $9.99/month or $99.99/year
- Downloads for offline viewing
- Full catalog access
With either paid plan you get Peacock‘s complete on-demand library of over 80,000 hours of movies, shows, and more according to the company.
Peacock Premium is the base paid tier. It gives you unlimited access to everything in Peacock‘s catalog with some advertising breaks. This plan is similar to Hulu‘s base on-demand streaming option.
For $5 more per month, Peacock Premium Plus gives you the same full catalog access but without ads interrupting your viewing. Premium Plus also lets you download select titles like movies and shows to watch offline on mobile devices. This tier competes directly with ad-free options like Hulu (No Ads) and Netflix Premium.
Both Premium and Premium Plus offer a 7-day free trial so you can preview them risk-free. And you can cancel anytime if you change your mind – there‘s no long-term contract or commitment required.
Now let‘s look at some key data and stats on Peacock‘s paid subscriber numbers to better understand their growth:
Peacock Paid Subscribers
|Date||Total Paid Subscribers|
|Q1 2022||13 million|
|Q4 2021||9 million|
|Q3 2021||Over 54 million|
|Launch (Q3 2020)||0|
Source: Comcast Earnings Reports
- Peacock has added millions of paying subscribers since launch in 2020
- In 2021, growth accelerated with additions of NBCUniversal content like The Office
- As of Q1 2022 Peacock reached 13 million paid subscribers, up from 9 million in Q4 2021
This data shows solid growth for a relatively new streamer. While Peacock trails leaders like Netflix and Disney+, their paid subscriber base is ramping up quickly by offering popular NBCU programming.
Should I Pay for Peacock?
Is unlocking the full Peacock catalog worth paying for though? Here are some things to consider when deciding if a paid subscription is right for you:
Pros of paid Peacock
- Access exclusive NBCU shows and movies not on other streamers
- No ads with Premium Plus
- Download for offline viewing
- Cheaper than many competitors at just $5-$10 per month
Cons of paid Peacock
- Library less extensive than Netflix or Hulu
- Limited original programming compared to other streamers
- Frequent ads with base Premium tier
- Technical issues reported on some devices
Reviewers like TechHive praise Peacock Premium as an affordable way to watch NBC classics like The Office and Brooklyn Nine-Nine exclusively. It also features lots of live sports for fans.
But critics note inconsistencies in Peacock‘s apps and user experience. And apart from NBC series, their content catalog may not be as broad as alternatives.
So weigh your personal interests – if NBCUniversal programming is a must, Peacock may be perfect for you. But users mainly interested in expansive original series may want to also consider options like Netflix or Hulu.
How Do I Sign Up for Paid Peacock?
Ready to get started with Peacock Premium or Premium Plus? Registering is quick and easy:
- Open the Peacock app on your streaming device or visit PeacockTV.com
- Click "Sign Up” and create your initial free account
- Select your profile icon > Account > Change Plan
- Choose either the Premium or Premium Plus paid option
- Enter your payment information to start your free trial
After signing up, you can stream to your heart’s delight across your devices. Peacock is supported on:
- Streaming media players like Roku, Fire TV, Apple TV
- Smart TVs from LG, Vizio, Samsung and others
- Game consoles like PlayStation and Xbox
- iOS and Android mobile devices and tablets
- Web browsers on your computer
So you‘ll have plenty of options for streaming Peacock!
How Does Peacock Compare to Other Streaming Services?
How does Peacock stack up against competitors like Netflix, Hulu, and Paramount+? Here‘s a quick comparison:
|Service||Price||Ads?||Original Shows||Movies||Offline Viewing|
|Peacock Premium||$4.99/month||Yes||Good||Very Good||No|
|Peacock Premium Plus||$9.99/month||No||Good||Very Good||Yes|
|Paramount+||$4.99-$9.99/month||Base only||Very Good||Very Good||Yes|
As you can see, Peacock comes in as one of the more affordable paid streaming options. The Premium plan even beats out Paramount+ on price while offering robust NBCU content.
For original programming, Netflix and Hulu currently have an edge over Peacock. But Paramount+ and Peacock are fairly on par for originals.
So Peacock can be a cost-effective streaming addition if you want to watch NBC series, sports, and news alongside originals. For film buffs, it provides an extensive movie library from Universal Pictures and beyond.
Can I Get Peacock for Free with Other Services?
Rather than signing up for Peacock alone, you may be able to get it bundled for free with services you already use.
Some examples of how to get Peacock Premium included:
- Xfinity/Comcast – Peacock Premium is free for Xfinity Flex, Xfinity X1, or Xfinity Internet customers
- Cox Contour – Peacock Premium is included free with Cox video packages
- Google Fi – Peacock Premium comes free with the Google Fi Unlimited mobile plan
- Spectrum – Spectrum video subscribers can get an extended free trial of Peacock Premium
These promotions can change over time, so check with your TV/internet/wireless provider to confirm. But if you already pay for eligible services, definitely take advantage of the free Peacock access!
What‘s the Best Way to Sign Up for Peacock?
Based on your unique needs, here are my top tips for getting the most out of Peacock for the best price:
- Try the free tier first to sample Peacock‘s programming for free initially
- If you love NBC shows, upgrade to Premium for just $5 monthly
- Premium Plus is best for an ad-free experience and downloads
- See if you can bundle Premium free with another service like Xfinity or Cox
- Pay annually for the biggest discount – 17% off Premium and Premium Plus
And remember – thanks to Peacock‘s free trials, you can always switch between plans or cancel anytime. So don‘t hesitate to mix and match options to find your perfect fit!
Enjoying Free Streaming? Here Are 5 Tips:
If you plan to stick with Peacock‘s free streaming tier for now, follow these tips to get the most out of it:
1. Create a Free Account – Be sure to register for your free Peacock account to start watching.
2. Browse the Channels – Check out Peacock‘s live linear channels like NBC News Now, Family Movie Night, and SNL Vault. Lots of free content!
3. Use TV Everywhere – Log in to partner apps with your Peacock details to unlock more free content spanning networks.
4. Check the App – Use Peacock‘s mobile app to stream free shows and movies when you‘re on-the-go.
5. Follow on Social – Follow Peacock on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram for regular updates on new free programming.
Stick to this free streaming starter guide and you‘ll be enjoying Peacock‘s best movies, shows, and clips in no time! After reviewing all your options, I hope you now have a good understanding of what‘s included with Peacock‘s free tier compared to their Premium subscription plans.
Let me know if you have any other questions! I‘m happy to share more streaming tips and tricks to help you figure out if Peacock is the right fit for your needs and budget. Happy streaming!