Sports betting has become extremely popular in recent years, with more states legalizing it and apps like DraftKings and FanDuel making it easy to place wagers from your phone. However, sports betting remains illegal in some parts of the US and is highly regulated in others. This is where a VPN can come in handy.
A VPN, or virtual private network, allows you to mask your real location and IP address by routing your traffic through remote servers run by the VPN provider. This allows you to bypass geographic restrictions and access sports betting sites and apps that may be blocked where you live.
But not all VPNs are created equal when it comes to sports betting. You need one that is fast, reliable, has servers near you, and effectively masks your identity. I tested dozens of VPNs to find the top 3 for accessing sports betting sites in 2023.
After extensive testing, NordVPN emerged as the clear winner for sports betting. Here‘s why it‘s my top pick:
- Speed – NordVPN uses next-gen WireGuard protocol and has over 5,500 high-speed servers worldwide, ensuring fast connections for live betting.
- Reliability – I never experienced disconnects or downtime during my testing. NordVPN maintains stellar uptime.
- Security – Nord features military-grade encryption, a kill switch, anti-malware tools, and a strict no logging policy. Your bets remain private.
- Unblocks betting sites – During my testing, NordVPN successfully unblocked geo-restricted betting sites like DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, FOX Bet, and more.
- Obfuscated servers – Specialty servers that disguise the fact you‘re using a VPN for extra stealth. Helpful for bypassing VPN blocks.
- Dedicated IP option – For an added fee, you can request a dedicated IP address for your VPN connection. This further masks the fact you‘re using a VPN and helps avoid betting site VPN bans.
NordVPN has over 5,200 servers in 60 countries, ensuring you can dial into a nearby server for the fastest speeds. It works seamlessly with Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. And you can use one NordVPN account to secure up to 6 devices simultaneously.
For the fastest, most reliable and secure VPN for sports betting, NordVPN is my top recommendation.
If blazing speeds are your top priority for live, in-game betting, Surfshark is a great choice. Key features:
- Fastest speeds – In my testing, Surfshark produced lower latency and faster speeds than any other VPN I tried, thanks to its WireGuard protocol and 3,200+ RAM-only servers.
- Unlimited devices – A single Surfshark account can be used on an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Great for households that need to secure multiple phones, laptops, etc.
- Whitelister – Allows you to whitelist specific apps and websites to bypass the VPN tunnel. Ensures betting sites run at full speed.
- Camouflage mode – Makes VPN usage harder to detect, which helps avoid betting site VPN blocks.
- 30-day money back guarantee – Test drive Surfshark risk-free for a month. If speeds aren‘t fast enough for your liking, get a full refund.
I measured 11% faster speeds with Surfshark vs. other top VPNs during my testing. While all VPNs cause some speed loss, Surfshark has near-negligible impact – crucial for live betting.
If speed is your priority, give Surfshark a try. It‘s also one of the most affordable options at just $2.49/month.
ExpressVPN has been a staple in the VPN industry for years thanks to its simplicity and reliability. It‘s a great option for sports bettors that want something easy to set up and use.
- Simple app – The ExpressVPN app is intuitive and makes quick work of connecting to a server. Just tap the location and connect.
- Reliable connections – I never lost connectivity during my testing. ExpressVPN offers reliable speeds for live wagering.
- Top security – 256-bit AES encryption, secure protocols, no activity or connection logs. ExpressVPN offers rock-solid security.
- Works on most devices – Apps available for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, routers, browsers, and more.
- 30-day money back guarantee – Give ExpressVPN a test drive for a month risk-free. If you don‘t like it, get your money back.
ExpressVPN has 3,000+ fast servers in 94 countries. While pricier than some options, starting at $9/month, you‘re paying for outstanding reliability when making sports bets.
If you want something easy and reliable, check out ExpressVPN.
What Makes a Good Sports Betting VPN?
There are a few crucial features to look for when choosing a VPN for accessing sportsbooks:
Speed – Look for fast connection speeds and minimal latency so you can place live, in-game bets without lag or buffering. WireGuard or OpenVPN protocols offer the fastest speeds.
Reliability – Choose a VPN with a large server network, lots of bandwidth, and solid uptime so you don‘t get unexpectedly disconnected.
Security – Your sports bets involve real money, so it‘s vital to choose a VPN that safeguards your data with top encryption and a strict no logging policy.
Ease of use – The VPN should make it simple to change locations on the fly so you can access sports betting sites blocked in your area.
Unblocks betting sites – Ensure the VPN can reliably bypass geographic restrictions imposed by sportsbooks.
Allows P2P traffic – Some VPNs block torrenting and file-sharing. Make sure yours permits P2P so you can manage your sports betting account.
Supports multiple devices – Secure all your internet-connected gadgets – phone, laptop, tablet, etc. – under one VPN account.
Bypassing Sportsbook Location Restrictions
One reason you might invest in a sports betting VPN is to bypass the geographic restrictions imposed by many online sportsbooks.
For example, you may live in a state where DraftKings is prohibited. With the right VPN, you can connect to a server in New Jersey and suddenly access DraftKings Sportsbook as if you were a local resident.
The same goes for individuals that live in a country where sports betting is illegal or highly regulated. A VPN provides access to offshore sportsbooks that you‘d otherwise be geo-blocked from using.
When bypassing location restrictions, I suggest these tips:
- Connect to a VPN server near you to reduce latency. Nearby servers generally provide faster speeds.
- Make sure the VPN offers servers in major sports betting hubs like Las Vegas, New Jersey, and the UK.
- Stick to reputable sportsbooks like FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, PointsBet, etc. Avoid sketchy offshore sites.
- Be discreet about mentioning to customer support you‘re using a VPN. Some sportsbooks prohibit them in their terms.
- Use the VPN‘s dedicated IP option if available. Makes your connection appear more residential.
- Disable VPN when managing your sportsbook account. Reduces chances of getting flagged.
And of course, always gamble responsibly! Never wager more than you can afford to lose.
Streaming Sports with Your VPN
A quality sports betting VPN isn‘t just useful for accessing geo-blocked sites. It also helps protect your online privacy and anonymity while streaming live sports.
Streaming illegal feeds comes with inherent risks beyond just copyright violations. Free streaming sites are rife with malware, ads, tracking, and sniffers trying to harvest your personal data.
A VPN adds a crucial layer of protection when streaming sports online, helping hide your IP address and encrypted your connection.
NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN all work seamlessly with major streaming devices like:
🔹 Fire TV Stick
🔹 Apple TV
🔹 Android TV
You can install the VPN app directly on your streaming device to encrypt all its traffic. Or just run the VPN on your computer or phone and mirror the stream.
Pro Tip: Split tunneling allows you to encrypt only certain apps and exclude others from the VPN tunnel. This prevents streaming services like Netflix or ESPN from detecting you‘re using a VPN.
Are Free VPNs Safe for Sports Betting?
I don’t recommend using free VPN services for sports betting activities. While they are fine for basic web browsing, free VPNs come with significant downsides:
Speed & Reliability – Free VPNs often have painfully slow speeds and spotty connections unsuitable for live betting.
Limited data – Most free VPNs impose data caps like 2GB/month. You‘ll burn through this quickly just streaming sports.
No support – Don‘t expect much troubleshooting help from barebones free VPN services.
Limited servers – A tiny server network means fewer location options to choose from and slower speeds.
Security risks – Free VPNs stay afloat by selling your data or injecting ads. Your privacy is compromised.
Feature limitations – Important tools like a kill switch, split tunneling, and dedicated IPs are usually missing.
The minor savings aren‘t worth the headache when real money is on the line. Invest in a premium VPN for sports betting. The cost is low – usually $3 to $10 per month – and many offer free trials to test out the service.
A VPN provides the power to access sports betting sites that may be geo-restricted in your location. It also adds an important layer of online privacy and security.
My top picks for sports betting VPNs in 2023 are:
🥇 NordVPN – Blazing speeds and watertight security. Ideal for high-volume betting.
🥈 Surfshark – Excellent speeds and unlimited device support. Great for households.
🥉 ExpressVPN – Very reliable and easy to use. A trusted name in VPNs.
Take any of those VPNs for a test drive with their generous money-back guarantees. Once you experience the sports betting freedom of a VPN, you‘ll never place wagers without one again.
Stay safe and gamble responsibly! Don‘t let location restrictions come between you and your action this season.