Hey there fellow racing enthusiast! If you‘re like me, you‘ve probably wondered – is it really possible to getAssetto Corsa for free? As a long-time fan of sim racing, I‘ve done tons of research on ways to get this highly-realistic racing simulator without paying full price.
Well, I have good news and bad news. Let‘s start with the bad news first:
The straight truth is there is no way to get the full Assetto Corsa experience entirely for free. As awesome as it would be, the developers simply don‘t offer an official free version.
But don‘t uninstall your racing wheel just yet! While you can‘t get the complete game for zero dollars, there are still a few legal options to play Assetto Corsa temporarily for free, or at least snag it at a big discount.
Curious what those options are? Let me walk you through everything I‘ve learned.
What is Assetto Corsa? A Quick Primer
First, let me provide a quick overview for anyone unfamiliar with this racing sim.
Assetto Corsa is widely considered among the most realistic and immersive driving simulators out there today. It was developed by the Italian game developer Kunos Simulazioni, who really know their stuff when it comes to racing physics and performance.
Some key things to know about Assetto Corsa:
- Focuses on providing an authentic racing experience that hardcore enthusiasts love
- Licensed cars from big brands like Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Lamborghini, etc
- Laser-scanned tracks based on real circuits like Nürburgring, Spa-Francorchamps
- Advanced tire simulation and handling tuned for precision
- A huge modding community that has greatly expanded the content
- Compatible with all major racing wheels, pedals and gear shifters
Overall, Assetto Corsa sits at the apex of racing realism on the simulator market right now. It‘s easy to see why so many people are eager to get their hands on it!
Can You Get Assetto Corsa For Free Legally?
As I mentioned earlier, there is no way to legally obtain the full Assetto Corsa experience entirely for free.
The developer does not offer any permanently free version of the game. Even a trial or "lite" version is not available officially.
But while you can‘t get the complete package free, there are a few limited options to temporarily play for free, or score a huge discount:
Steam Family Sharing
If you have a gracious friend with Assetto Corsa in their Steam library, they can share the game with you using Steam‘s family sharing feature.
You can access their copy as long as they are not playing. The catch? Shared games have restrictions like no multiplayer, and you lose access if they launch a game. Still, it‘s a way to try before you buy!
Free Weekend Promotions
Occasionally, Assetto Corsa is featured in Steam‘s free weekends promotions. During these events, anyone can play the full game for free during the availability period. Keep an eye out for these!
Contests and Giveaways
Track down online contests, especially from sim racing content creators, and you may just win a free copy! For example, Alienware Arena has previously raffled out keys. It‘s rare, but free copies do exist in limited supplies!
Game Bundle Deals
Authorized third-party key sellers like Humble Bundle sometimes offer Assetto Corsa bundled cheaply with other games. For just a few bucks, you can get AC with other titles – almost like paying nothing for it!
Used Physical Copies
Check used marketplaces and you can often find second-hand copies of the console versions for as little as $10-15. That‘s way cheaper than paying $40 new!
As you can see, with some effort, you can get limited access to Assetto Corsa for free, or buy it cheaply. But most gamers will have to pony up the cash for full ownership.
Breaking Down Assetto Corsa‘s Cost on Each Platform
How much does Assetto Corsa cost normally? Here‘s a quick breakdown:
- On Steam (PC): Standard pricing is $39.99 USD. Goes on sale for ~$10 during promotions.
- On PlayStation: Usually $29.99 digitally, $39.99 physical. Discounted to ~$15 at times.
- On Xbox: Same pricing structure as PlayStation. Ranges from $29.99 digitally to $39.99 physical.
DLC packs are also available that expand the car and track selection. These range from $1.99 for single cars to $11.99 for bundles. These go on sale periodically too.
There is no subscription needed to play. You buy the base game once, and you‘re all set!
Popularity and Player Numbers Show the Love for Assetto Corsa
Looking at Steam data shows just how beloved Assetto Corsa is among PC racing fans:
- Over 821,000 copies sold on Steam alone as of November 2022
- Over 95% positive reviews among 30,000+ user reviews
- Average of 3,000 concurrent players at any given time
- All-time peak of 13,636 concurrent players in 2020
For a niche racing sim, these numbers indicate incredible popularity and community satisfaction. No wonder so many fans are keen to play!
Let‘s compare it to other popular racing titles on Steam:
|Assetto Corsa||821,000||95% positive||3,000|
|Project CARS 2||402,000||86% positive||1,000|
|Forza Horizon 5||763,000||92% positive||60,000|
As you can see, Assetto Corsa has comparable or better stats than other acclaimed racing sims. The community clearly recognizes AC‘s quality and realism!
My Take – Assetto Corsa Is Worth Paying For
So given that Assetto Corsa is tough to get for free, is it ultimately worth paying up to $40 for? In my expert opinion as a die-hard racing game fan, the answer is a resounding yes!
Having spent hundreds of hours in AC, I can confidently say it provides an incredible simulation experience that easily justifies the asking price. Here‘s why I feel it‘s worth the cost:
(1) The realistic driving physics and immersive sound design pull you into the experience. Cars handle and sound exactly as they should!
(2) Tons of content available in the base game and DLC packs to keep you busy for ages.
(3) Active multiplayer communities and leagues let you race competitively for endless replay value.
(4) Mod support greatly expands the selection of cars and tracks. There‘s always new content to discover!
(5) Regular quality updates and improvements by the developers show their commitment to the title.
For me, even paying full price was easily worth it. And I suggest any racing fan or simulation enthusiast do the same. The $40 buy-in is tiny compared to the hundreds of hours of joy AC provides!
Of course, that‘s just my two cents. I still encourage trying the free options first if possible, so you can experience Assetto Corsa before committing your cash.
Tips for Getting Assetto Corsa on the Cheap
I totally understand $40 may be too steep if you‘re on a tight budget. So here are my pro tips for getting Assetto Corsa at the lowest price:
- Wait for big Steam sales – Assetto Corsa sees up to 80% off during seasonal and holiday sales!
- Buy game keys from authorized resellers – Sites like CDKeys often have them ~20% cheaper.
- Snag secondhand physical copies – Check eBay or local sellers for used console discs and cases.
- Share the cost with friends by gifting extra copies during sales.
- Use site-wide coupons on games retailers for a few dollars more off.
- Follow Assetto Corsa social media for exclusive promo announcements.
Using the above strategies, you can often buy Assetto Corsa for around $10-15 rather than paying full price. For the quality and longevity this sim provides, that‘s an absolute steal!
While getting Assetto Corsa entirely for free is probably just a pipe dream, this inside scoop should give you hope! Using the tips and strategies I outlined above:
- You can try Assetto Corsa temporarily without spending a dime.
- Or own the full experience forever for wayyy cheaper than full price!
I hope this guide has been useful for competitive racers like us. Thanks so much for reading, and enjoy those wheel-to-wheel races! Feel free to hit me up with any other Assetto Corsa questions. For now, I‘m off to take some hot laps at Spa-Francorchamps. See you on the track!